Can I receive a tax refund if I am currently in a payment plan for prior year’s federal taxes?

Answer: As a condition of your agreement, any refund due you in a future year will be applied against the amount you owe.

  • Continue making your installment agreement payments as scheduled because your refund is not considered as a substitute for your regular payment due.
  • You may not get all of your refund if you owe certain past-due amounts, such as federal tax, state tax, a student loan, or child support. You can contact Financial Management Service (FMS) toll-free at 800-304-3107.
  • The IRS will automatically apply the refund to the taxes owed.
Additional Information: